Zhorn Software
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
michealoriain

When does Stickies write new text to disk? Empty When does Stickies write new text to disk?

Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:36 pm
Hi,

My 1st post.

I see from the documentation that Stickies takes automatic backups once every 24 hours, which is great.

My question is: when you type text into a Stickies note, when does that text get written to disk?  If your PC were to crash 30 seconds (or 5 or 1 ...) after entering new text, would that text still be in the note when the PC is rebooted?

Great program, love it.  Use it for all my to-do lists :-)

Regards,
Michael

When does Stickies write new text to disk? Empty Re: When does Stickies write new text to disk?

Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:38 am
Some time ago i checked this and it was around 5s after editing the content ( unless it is like Schrödinger's cat , it updates if you look at the file content......)
michealoriain

When does Stickies write new text to disk? Empty Re: When does Stickies write new text to disk?

Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:04 pm
Thanks Sooyke.  I like the Schrödinger's cat frequency of writing to disk :-)
michealoriain

Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:56 pm
On that back of your post Sooyke, I did a little poking myself.  Here's what I discovered:

Each note is saved in an individual RTF file.

When you alter the contents of a note, the updated contents are written to the RTF file between 5-10 seconds after the note's window loses focus (for those who don't know what this means, it means when you click anywhere outside the note's window).

Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:04 am
How did you check if it is not updating the file when it continuous has focus ? A quick look into file explorer  is kind of tricky   Question

Maybe Tom Revell can reveal how he coded it  Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk

Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:51 pm
Yeh, you've worked it out Smile  It's ten seconds after last activity ... but the cursor also needs to have left the note for it to be saved.  That's because retrieving the text to save it has the side effect of closing the Chinese input menu (the way you enter Chinese on a keyboard involves a little drop menu as you type) which is annoying if you're in the middle of typing.  That's why the text will only be saved once the cursor has left the note.

Tom
michealoriain

Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:03 pm
In the five or so 'experiments' I did, the updated note content was written to the RTF file 10 seconds after the window lost focus except on one occasion, where it happened after 7 seconds.  That's why I put a range of 5-10 in my post.  Btw I'm working on a Windows 10 Lenovo T470 laptop which is overloaded with bloatware so that might account for the write not happening exactly after 10 seconds (although it doesn't really explain why it happened *earlier* than 10 seconds -- not that I'm complaining Very Happy )
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum