Zhorn Software
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
timo476

Stickies not showing on top when alarms trigger Empty Stickies not showing on top when alarms trigger

Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:32 am
Since getting Windows 10, my stickies don't show up on top of other applications when the alarms trigger.  The alarms are working b/c when I close applications, I can then see them and they're blinking, but they used to pop up on top of everything else, which is what made them useful.

Thanks!

Stickies not showing on top when alarms trigger Empty Re: Stickies not showing on top when alarms trigger

Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:18 pm
Stickies not showing on top when alarms trigger SzOIaf3

Can you try a  "sleep" sticky and waking up to see if that works ?
LaurentG

Stickies not showing on top when alarms trigger Empty Re: Stickies not showing on top when alarms trigger

Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:51 pm
Hi Sooyke, the screen you show is for v9 (or previous).
In v10, here is the right place in Options

Stickies not showing on top when alarms trigger WNaOYROR7Xv0wAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==
timo476

Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:51 pm
Yes, I have that option checked and I have the issue whether the sticky is sleeping or not.

Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:22 pm
Smile  @LaurentG    I forgot i went back to v9 !

@timo476   does it work for a desktop sticky that is set ontop or does it have the same problem ? I remember a similar problem but it was intermittent and i do not know if it was with v10 but it certainly was with win10 . There was no solution given......
timo476

Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:13 pm
It doesn't matter if the sticky is set to ontop or not.  I've played around with all the settings I can think of and nothing has worked.  I've used Stickies for years and loved it, but the biggest thing I use it for is quick reminders, so it useless to me like this.  I would love to find a solution so I don't have to stop using it.
LaurentG

Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:31 pm
I just did a test... and I'm not able to reproduce your issue.
I tested the three following cases :
- One note which is "only" sleeping
- one for which I set an alarm, and that has been set "sleeping" while setting alarm
- one for which I set an alarm, but let "active" while setting alarm.

At the end of 1 or 5 minutes, the THREE notes became visible "on top" of my current window.
Of course, only the last 2 ones (the ones with alarm) were "flashing". The first one "only" became visible on top of my current window.

So, if there is a bug, it is at least "tricky" since not easily reproducible.
Or maybe there is no bug in Stickies, but there is something wrong in YOUR windows installation....

Just one idea, maybe not to have the bug disappear, but at east to have it less annoying : Did you set a sound associated to alarms ? If yes, are you able to hear this sound when alarm awakes ? If yes, it could be "almost" enough to fulfill the "quick reminder feature", no ?
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk

Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:39 pm
I've spent ages over the years trying to work out why some notes don't end up on-top when they should be.  Stickies asks Windows to make the note on-top, Windows says "yup", Stickies marks the note as on-top ... but it just isn't.

My code has involved making repeated calls to the API to set it on-top 100 times in a row and every time Stickies gets told "yup", but it still doesn't work.  Sometimes.

If you change the setting "Clicking one note makes all notes visible" does it help at all?

Tom
timo476

Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:41 pm
Unfortunately not--I tried it and tested a bunch of alarms set for difference times and it's still very hit or miss.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:46 pm
I know this is an old thread, but another problem report caused me to go back and look at on-top code again.  This is not the first time I've tried to improve it, but never with any success.

This time, the person I've been speaking with says that a change I made has solved his problem, so I hope I'm onto something.

If you're still using Stickies, and wouldn't mind trying a different build, could you download this please:

https://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/stickies/stickiesExtraFlags.zip

It's safe to use in replacement of your existing exe, but it changes the way that notes are brought "on top", so I hope it will help with what you reported?

Tom
Simon69

Stickies not showing on top when alarms trigger Empty stickiesExtraFlags works!

Thu May 21, 2020 5:40 am
Have had the same problem as the OP. Now since I've replaced the stickies.exe that came with the v10 installation with the one contained in the stickiesExtraFlags.zip the problem is solved, i.e. stickies now showing up on top again. Good job Tom. Thank you!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Sat May 30, 2020 3:39 pm
I've also been testing the new way of bringing notes to the foreground, and it seems to be working better.  The change is likely to make it into v10.1, which will help solve a long-standing issue.  

Tom
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum