Zhorn Software
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Liafail

Losing messages after moving Empty Losing messages after moving

Sat Aug 19, 2023 11:27 pm
I've used Stickies since it first release without a problem. I just updated to the latest version. My issue: I moved files out of  "Closed" folder into The "Stored" folder. I moved two or three files at a time. Some files disappeared (not in either folder), some moved without a problem, and some files were copied to the "Stored" folder. 

The files in the small groups I moved did not exhibit the same effect, that is all files lost, or copied, or moved. It appeared totally random which files were moved,  copied or lost. NB: The lost files were apparently deleted as they do not show up anywhere. I at no time "deleted" anything. Any answer to what happened, especially referencing the lost files?

I have never lost any files in all the updates to a new release, nor at any other time.
guest_today

Losing messages after moving Empty Re: Losing messages after moving

Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:09 am
Did you use drag/drop to move the files ( as i understand it you moved them out of the bin to a folder in "Stored" ) ?

If you have a backup you can use a tool  SSIT to recover individual files from the database file :

https://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/stickies/tools.html
Liafail

Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:09 pm
Yes, I used a simple drag and drop from Closed to Store. How is Bin defined (since all data is in files , within folders). I assume the bin contains all active notes? Is Closed outside the Bin (separate file or folder) as implied above with Stored?

Yes, I have backups from which I can recover lost data. Thank you for directing me to Tools. 

BTW I've only used this program for decades as I find it the best and uncluttered sticky note program. It is exceptional in its power combined with simplicity.
guest_today

Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:24 pm
since all data is in files , within folders

Losing messages after moving 640810

I am confused what you mean by " closed " , i refer to bin as the  " wastebucket " like the recycling bin in windows .When you hover above it , it gives the name of " closed " .

I presume you use stickies version 10 ? This version is really different in the way it stores stickies . Everything is stored inside a database file stickies.db . You can find the structure of this data inside the stickies helpfile under " Reference / stickies.db " .

When a sticky is created it gets an ID , in v10 this is just from an counter like 221 the next would be 222 . This counter only increases even after deleting stickies  .

The ID is used inside the database to retrieve values from the Database structure like its width or position or creation time but also if it is stored and under what name  . Text and image are also stored inside the database linked with the ID so it is hard to see them without using the stickies program .

If you close a sticky it gets some mark in the database linked to its ID and you find it in the bin , it will be deleted  when the count of stickies in the bin exceeds the value set in " Settings / App " i think the default is 32 .

Your question was about losing stickies when storing them , i had some ( very ) rare problems with drag/drop in win10 ( not with stickies ) so when something is important like a file in explorer i do not use drag/drop . To bring a sticky from the bin to a store directory you can open the bin in Manage notes and us the rightclick menu " store " on the note you want to transfer .

Hope this is some ( partly ) answer or maybe i misunderstood your problem ?

Here is a post for some database " detective " work :
https://zhornsoftware.forumotion.com/t592-how-is-the-stickies-tags-information-stored

Last edited by guest_today on Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added link to another post for info)
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum