Zhorn Software
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
jhg

Moving Stickies from v7 to v10 on new PC Empty Moving Stickies from v7 to v10 on new PC

Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:20 pm
I had to rebuild my system in order to fix Windows Update (long story, now I'm on 1909).

The old system had Stickies v7, and I just copied the Stickies directory from %APPDATA% to a temporary location.

Now I'd like to import the database on my new system on which I installed v10.  Unfortunately it looks like the db format has changed.

I guess what I'm going to have to do is:

• Uninstall v10
  • Install v7
  • Open the old db in v7 and export it
  • Uninstall v7
  • Install v10
  • Import in v10

Is there an easier way to get the old stickies into my new system?

Oh, and BTW, the help file says there's an "Import from file" option on the tray icon context menu, but I don't see it.  Assuming the above is the best process, where is the "Import from file" option?

Moving Stickies from v7 to v10 on new PC Empty Re: Moving Stickies from v7 to v10 on new PC

Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:41 am
Moving Stickies from v7 to v10 on new PC 3nm5zZv

There has been a few changes between v7 and v9 and v10 . The dataconverter mdb2db.exe that is in v10 only seems to convert v8 and v9 !

I guess the best way is to install v7 upgrade to v9 and then install v10 . 

You can find old version installers here :  https://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/support/kb.pl?q=00013 

Moving Stickies from v7 to v10 on new PC Restor10

In win10 the restore is traymenu settings / app but you can only import v10 database !

Make sure you keep a backup of your original v7 data save !
jhg

Moving Stickies from v7 to v10 on new PC Empty Re: Moving Stickies from v7 to v10 on new PC

Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:03 pm
I removed v10, installed v7 and copied the saved store.mdb, stickies.ini, options.ini and rtf and images subdirectories into %APPDATA$\roaming\stickies.

When I launched the program it shows no stickies in the manage dialog.

What do I need to do to restore the v7 database?

Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:41 pm
Moving Stickies from v7 to v10 on new PC About10

Maybe you are using the wrong directory ? In the traymenu  "About Stickies....." you find the path to your data files of the active stickies . When i installed v7 i could not find a way to change it from admin to my "user" path ......

Moving Stickies from v7 to v10 on new PC Dir10

I am surprised you have rtf directory because that comes from v8 or v9 i think. Also before copying you have to exit stickies .

Best regards ,
jhg

Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:50 pm
Well, although I was positive I was on v7, I had to be mistaken.  I reinstalled v10 and successfully ran mdb2db.exe on my old store.mdb.

Problem solved, thanks!
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk

Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:38 pm
I worked on someone else's machine the other day - I think the converter works for v7 as well, although I appreciate this info is too late to be helpful to you.  I checked it on v8 and v9 ... and seeing as v7 goes back 8 years I didn't think anyone would still be using it.  Guess I was wrong!

Tom

Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:15 pm
Moving Stickies from v7 to v10 on new PC V7test10

It really does not like dealing with v7 !
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk

Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:01 pm
Well.  Don't I look foolish.  Clearly I did think about this back when I was writing the converter, and even coded a case to detect it, and then promptly forgot all about it.  Ahem.

Tom
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum