Zhorn Software
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Rich A

Can not move Stickies from old PC to new PC Empty Can not move Stickies from old PC to new PC

Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:34 pm
Recently built a new PC.  Found a post here regarding transferring "Stickies from one PC to another" and noted it seemed to only refer to version 10.  Here's my problem.

Old PC .. Windows 7 Pro 32 bit.  Stickies version 9.   Upgraded Stickies to latest version 10 so I could take advantage of the ability to move the db to another PC. So old PC is now running Stickies version 10.  All looks normal there.

New PC .. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.  Installed Stickies version 10 on new PC. 

I then copied over my custom skin from the old PC to the newly installed Stickies skin folder.  Next I copied over the DB from the old PC over to the new PC, over-writing the wndows 10 PC stickies original DB.  

But none of my data is there.   Checking the stickies Manage Notes - Home screen shows the database file only has the basic introductory file, and the DB file size is only 80 KB. 

However browsing the stickies program data file in windows explorer shows that db file is 670 Kb large ??   Is this a problem because I'm trying to use a stickies database file originally installed on a 32 bit windows 7 pro PC over to the new 64 bit windows 10 Pro PC?

Ideas?  

- Rich

Can not move Stickies from old PC to new PC Empty Re: Can not move Stickies from old PC to new PC

Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:19 am
"  Next I copied over the DB from the old PC over to the new PC "

What is the filesize on your old PC , you mentioned 670 Kb but it is not clear if this is your original file .
Win 32 or 64 should not make a difference ( stickies.exe is still 32bit ).

A problem i had several times is that there are two sticky versions on my PC and the wrong one starts up . In de " About ...." traymenu option you can see the directory that is actually used.

I think  you need to exit stickies before copying the new database file over it , i guess if the file is in use it will not be replaced.
Rich A

Can not move Stickies from old PC to new PC Empty Re: Can not move Stickies from old PC to new PC

Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:37 pm
Thanks for the  reply.   Yes I shut down Stickies on the new Win 10 PC and then copied the DB over.  Where is the actual database file located in windows 7 ?    I'm copying it from the C:\Program Files\Stickies  folder.  That file size is 670 KB.  However in the windows 7 stickies "Home Notes" view the database size shows 1828 KB ??  And it shows 46 stickies.  

On the new Windows 10 PC, in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Stickies the DB file is 670 KB.  Both DB files are identical as copied.   But I show NO stickies at all on the win 10 PC.  Instead looking at the Stickies "Home Notes" view, the  database file shows the file size as 80 KB and only the initial setup first sticky info.  See the below screen caps:

Sorry .. can't get my screen caps to work here .. Question .. where exactly is the DB file normally located in my old windows 7 PC ?  And what folder in the new Windows 10 PC should I copy that DB  to ?? 

I've been slowly porting over a lot of programs and data from my old Win7 PC to the new Win 10 PC.  Have done about 25 percent of them using mostly the Windows WET application.  But Stickies is one I have been trying do with the method shown on this forum for moving a Stickies version 10 DB from one PC to another. 

I'll try uninstalling the Win10 Stickies app and then using the MS WET application to port over the whole Stickies environment from the old Win 7 machine.

Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:21 pm
Can not move Stickies from old PC to new PC KOLyjGx

You can find the directory that is used by the active stickies.exe both in win7 or win10 by clicking on the about traymenu option . I think you are using the wrong db files in the wrong directories.

My stickies db files are in c:\Users\sooykeito\AppData\Roaming\stickies\ as an example , the filesize can be different if 1000 is used instead of 1024 for Kb to bytes . But the difference is small not 670Kb would be 686 080 bytes. The value given in Manage notes is the one of the " in use " db file so it seems to indicate the wrong one it should be around 1820Kb in your new PC.
Rich A

Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:43 pm
Thanks Sooyke,

I found the problem.  I somehow had two DBs for the old Windows 7 Stickies stored on the thumb drive I was using to transfer the programs.  And I was using the WRONG one ... ARRGHHH !!  Embarassed  

All is now working correctly on the new Win 10 PC.   Thanks for your help!
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum