Zhorn Software
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Philip
Philip

Move from 9 to 10 breaks Stickies Empty Move from 9 to 10 breaks Stickies

Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:33 pm
I have always run Stickies (and other programmes) with the executables on my C: drive and the data in D:\STICKIES on my D: drive (where it is covered by my backup regime).

After "up"greading from 9 to 10, Stickies can no longer find any of my Notes, and with the removal of the "Move data directory" option, I cannot tell Stickies where to store/find my data.

The About dialogue suggests that it can now be found in C:\Users\Philip\AppData\Roaming\stickies\stickies.db but (1) the conversion routine doesn't appear to have worked - despite claiming it did- as none of my Notes are accessible when I run Stickies, and (2) this is not a directory where I wish to store my data.

Move from 9 to 10 breaks Stickies Empty Re: Move from 9 to 10 breaks Stickies

Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:34 am
Have you tried using the registry setting ?  see helpfile  " backup " It seems it should be still valid in version 10 .
Philip
Philip

Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:28 pm
Thank you for the suggestion - I have created the registry key (and the "About" dialogue box now shows my data file as D:\Stickies\stickies.db), but none of my Notes are found.

I tried copying the (converted?) stickies.db from C:\Users\Philip\AppData\Roaming\stickies\stickies.db to D:\Stickies\ but that didn't help. The stickies.db file is also only 92kb in size, which doesn't seem right if it does, indeed, now hold all my data.

I've also tried copying everything from C:\Users\Philip\AppData\Roaming\stickies\ into D:\Stickies\ but again with no success.

Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:27 pm
I checked and could add the registry key and use the data on a D:/stickies ( usb ) drive . But i already had a working version 10 that was correct converted in standard location.
I would suggest installing version 9 in a standard setup " with the data in the %APPDATA%\stickies  " and using restore ( from a version 9 stickies backup ) to get your data in this version 9 so you have a fully working stickies .
Then updating to version 10 and if it is ok changing the registry and moving the content of %APPDATA%\stickies to your d drive.
Philip
Philip

Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:15 pm
Thank you again!

I now have everything working again, with my data in the default location for V10.

I may wait until Tom returns and see what his advice is for moving the data to my D: drive. Although I am technically comfortable with editing the Registry, it does feel like a bit of a cludge!
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk

Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:54 pm
You know, that's why I removed the "Move data file location" function - people were getting into trouble with it.  The functionality is still there, so if a user is happy with editing the registry then you can create the key (this article shows you where it is: https://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/support/kb.pl?q=00091) but that means that the data file location will only end up getting moved by people who understand what that means.

Additionally, with the new feature of being able to write backups into an alternate location, there's less need to move the data directory.

If you'd like the location to be somewhere of your choosing, close Stickies, add the registry key, move the data file file to that location and when you restart the app it will use the new place.

Tom
Philip
Philip

Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:54 pm
Thanks, Tom. I keep all my data on D: not just for Backups, but also for ease of synchronisation between my desktop and laptop. I've just made the registry change and all seems to be working well.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum