Zhorn Software
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
pl77

Menu icons display issue Empty Menu icons display issue

Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:26 am
Hello.

I've just installed Stickies 10b on a Windows 10 (1909) computer.
In all menus the icons that should appear on the left side of the window are replaced with characters, for example:
The New note menu item has lower case h, Desktop a capital B, Exit a 5, ...

The functionality isn't affected by this, it just looks weird.

Any hint what I can try to fix this (expect uninstalling and reinstalling which I did)?
pl77

Menu icons display issue Empty Re: Menu icons display issue

Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:29 am
Oops, sorry for not posting this in the support forum Menu icons display issue Icon_redface
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk

Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:55 pm
This might be challenging to solve.  Sometimes during development I'd see the same thing in a build, so I know what you're talking about.  It means that Stickies has not found the font which is used for those symbols, so it's using something else instead.  Trouble is, that font is built into the exe file, so it's not possible to run Stickies without the font being present, and that same file is the one everyone else is downloading ... so why is it wrong on just your computer?

If you relaunch the app, does that change it?  What about if you reboot?

Do you have any other odd things around fonts which happen on your machine that you can think of?

Tom
pl77

Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:24 pm
Hello, Tom.

Thank you for your reply.

Yesterday I installed the latest version (10.0c) on a couple more computers I have access to.
Some have this issue, some don't. Even almost fresh installs from the same source showed different results Shocked 

Following your hint that the font is included in the exe I used a resource extractor to get the stand alone font file. Again on some computers this can be previewed (using Windows' own fontview.exe) on others it can't. Definitely an obscure Windows 10 problem (Google shows people having similar problems resolved by turning on the Windows Firewall!)

But I found a work around: If I install the font it shows up fine in charmap.exe and stickies uses this installed copy of the font to display the proper icons.  Laughing
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk

Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:51 pm
Huh, yes, that's an innovative solution.  As and when you update Stickies, if you get some more odd characters, you may need to re-extract the font file, but it's not something I'm hearing about a lot.  Strange.

Tom
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum