Zhorn Software
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
ThisGuyCecil

Stickies -- Menu Options For Roll Up Of A Note And Its Reverse Empty Stickies -- Menu Options For Roll Up Of A Note And Its Reverse

Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:29 am
Hello.

I am using Stickies v10.1d in a Win10 Pro environment.

When I wish to roll up a specific sticky note I go to the title bar of that note and select the unchecked option named 'Rolled Up'.

Afterwards, when I need to reverse that action--and unroll it again--I select the checked option named "Unrolled".

Apologies for the nitpicking, but shouldn't both these menu options be in the present tense instead of the past tense?  I was confused at first by these counter-intuitive menu names and their associated actions.

Anyways, forgive my very minor observation.  Stickies is a great little tool, and I advocate it to many folks.  Razz

-----------
Regards, Cecil
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk

Stickies -- Menu Options For Roll Up Of A Note And Its Reverse Empty Re: Stickies -- Menu Options For Roll Up Of A Note And Its Reverse

Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:03 pm
This is something I've tried to consider and get right in the past - so it's by design instead of accidental, if that helps.

The idea is that you choose the action you'd like to take.  A good argument against this decision is the presence of the check mark next to the menu item.  If the menu item is the action you want, why does it change, and also show/hide a check mark.

That menu is probably too long as it is anyway, a side effect of my shoehorning every suggestion anyone's ever made into the app over many years...

Tom
LaurentG

Stickies -- Menu Options For Roll Up Of A Note And Its Reverse Empty Re: Stickies -- Menu Options For Roll Up Of A Note And Its Reverse

Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:37 pm
According to me, we may have two options :

- either an action word indicating what will be done when we click on it, and in this case, there mustn't be any check mark beside, and the action word has to change depending on current state (since action won't be the same, but one and its contrary)

- OR a word indicating a state (and not an action), with a check mark to specify if it is, or not, the current state, and no change of the word depending on current state.

But I agree that a mix of both, ie. a wording change depending on curent state PLUS a check mark is not really understandable... and should be avoided.

Example :
- either a menu named "Roll" when the note is unrolled and "UnRoll" when the note is rolled, but with no check mark beside
- or a menu always named "Rolled up" but with a check mark beside when the note is rolled, and no check mark when it is unrolled.  

Actually, it's already the case for the "rolling" menu (word indicating the state, "Rolled up", never changed (contrary to what Cecil says, at least in special build 160723 of v10.1d provided by Tom to fix I don't remember exactly which defect), but with a check mark if note is currently rolled, and no check mark if it is currently unrolled),  or for the "on top" menu, or the "scrollbar" menu, but NOT for some other, like "lock / unlock content" for which we have an action (and not a state that would be better "locked content"), that change depending on current state, and nevertheless with a check mark, or "Solo" for which we have a state and a check mark, but nevertheless the menu changes dependig on the current state (Solo vs De-solo).

According to me, the best between the two options is the second : word in the menu describe a state and not an action, this word never changes whatever the current state, and a check marks says if it is, or not, the current state.
And moreover, use the SAME option for all the menus
LaurentG

Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:04 pm
PS : I just checked it,and Cecil is right : In "official" v10.1d, the "rolling" menu is not OK : The word changes depending on the current state AND there is a check mark.

But this is no more the case, as I said, in the "special build" 160723 that is better on this point (and surely something else, but I don't remember to fix which bug Tom delivered it in this forum)

@Tom : I think it would be great that you create ASAP a new "official" version, let's say v10.1e, rather that let in the air an "official" version AND a "special build", both named v10.1.d....

And you could take the opportunity of this new official version to fix menus "lock content" and "solo" according one of the two options I mention, rather than current "mix (and wrong)" situation.

Milk.Vinni likes this post

Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum