Zhorn Software
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
SaladGoat

current time glitch Empty current time glitch

Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:48 am
This has been happening for a while, on two different computers, and it's quite annoying, because it's causing me to miss reminders!

Generally, I set notes in the afternoon or evening for a morning reminder. When the morning falls more than 12 hours away, I use the Custom setting. So I can set the date, but when I set the time I generally set only the hour because the reminder is needed, for instance, between 7am and 8am, so I just set the hour for 7 and it doesn't matter what the minutes are set for.

For whatever reason, Stickies remembers this as the current time. So instead of waking at 7:36, the note wakes at 18:36 - way too late to be of any use!

This has happened a number of times, to much detriment, to the point that I am setting them for the night before and then having them sleep for 6, 10 or 12 hours.

Finally, today I remembered and saw what was happening. A little playing around and it seems to only happen if I don't change the minutes. If I set the hour and minutes, it remembers the correct time, but if I leave the minutes alone and just set the hour, it sets it to the current time. (In fact, moving out of the hour position - cursor right, or tab - works. Setting the date second, instead of first, also works. But setting the date first, then setting the hour and hitting Enter sets to the current time.)

So yes, I have a few workarounds but would be nice if you could fix that problem altogether.

Thanks!

current time glitch Empty Re: current time glitch

Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:06 pm
I cannot replicate the problem you are seeing , it works fine for me. Does it always go wrong if you :

- enter date
- change only hours
- press enter

Do you immediately see the wrong time in " Manage notes " sleep folder ?

Maybe some forum user can also try it to verify ?
SaladGoat

Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:49 am
I was afraid it wouldn't be able to be replicated, but since it's happened on two separate computers for me, I was hoping maybe....

Set the date first - to anything ahead of the current date.
Change the hour to something before the current hour. Double digit hours work properly, but single digit hours do not work. (ie 7:43 will wake at 18:43 but 14:43 will wake at 14:43)
Only happens if you press Enter. Clicking the Sleep button sets it to wake at the correct time.

Yes, it shows up immediately in Manage notes.
SaladGoat

Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:39 am
ADD:

It occurred to me that, since the glitch doesn't affect times with two digits (ie 12:43), what would happen if I entered a single digit time as two digits - instead of 7, I entered 07.
No glitch. If I enter 07:43, it sets it for 7:43. But if I enter the very next one for 7:43 it sets it for 18:43.
Weird, right?
Anyway, hopefully this can be replicated and repaired.
Thanks!
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk

Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:52 pm
My suggestion would be to use Go Away.

Control-g will cause the note to sleep until tomorrow.  By default "tomorrow" is one second past midnight.  However, you can instead set the time on the Alerts tab in Settings.  Alter that to be 7:30, and then control-g will cause that note to go to sleep until 07:30 the next day.  Just be wary about using it if you're up past midnight ...

Tom
SaladGoat

Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:29 am
I already use Go Away to wake the Stickies at midnight, so changing the time on that wouldn't work for me. Also, this isn't always a next-day kinda thing - it can be a few days, or even weeks, in advance.
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk

Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:55 pm
Sorry SaladGoat for this taking such a while, but I've seen what you reported now and have a workaround.  I don't think the problem lies in my code but in the DateTime control.  However, I've worked out a way to get around it.  When the Return key is pressed in the Sleep dialog, Stickies will move input focus to another control before continuing.  It seems to solve the issue.

If you could try this build: https://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/stickies/stickiesPlus.zip, I hope you'll find it no longer wakes late?

Tom
SaladGoat

Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:09 pm
That did the trick! Thank you so much for sticking with this and finding a solution. Much appreciated!
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum