Zhorn Software
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
loop6

Need to mass transfer All Notes from one machine to another Empty Need to mass transfer All Notes from one machine to another

Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:06 am
Hi there, I've been using Stickies for about one (awesome!) year, and for the first time I need help. I received a computer upgrade from my company, so I need to migrate all my files and software.

I have a lot of Stickies that are stored, recurring, sleeping, and in stacks, as well as on my desktop.

There seems to be a gap in the documentation for how to effectively execute this transfer. 

The "mass select" and "Import" option is simply not practical, and I'm not sure if that will transfer all my stored notes that are not desktop visible.

Is there a way to save the backup file perhaps and "restore" it to the new machine? Is there another option for zipping up and saving all notes and opening them over? I have OneDrive that syncs between the computers, but I need something more practical and efficient than importing note by note, especially for the hidden notes.

I appreciate your help!   cat
loop6

Need to mass transfer All Notes from one machine to another Empty restore backup method worked!

Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:20 am
I decided to be brave and try it out - and success! Laughing  My stickies are all here, including the stored ones and all.

On my old computer, I went to Settings->App and hit "Manual backup" - I saved the .db file to a location that syncs frequently across my OneDrive. 

I refreshed the sync, went to Settings->App on my new computer and hit "Restore" - I navigated to the folder where I "backed up" the .db file and hit Open.

Everything is a bit of a mess on the new desktop but that's fine, I have all the data and that's important.

I hope this post stays up to help someone else who is trying to figure this out - a one-time mass transfer of Stickies between computers.

~loop
Sunhiker

Need to mass transfer All Notes from one machine to another Empty Re: Need to mass transfer All Notes from one machine to another

Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:45 pm
I'm using Windows 10 Pro, and there is no Settings->App, only Settings->Apps, and no "manual backup" option anywhere. How can I easily transfer my stickies to a new machine?

Need to mass transfer All Notes from one machine to another Empty Re: Need to mass transfer All Notes from one machine to another

Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:09 pm
The setttings> App refers to the stickies traymenu " Settings " not the " Settings " from win10 . You can see the info in stickies helpfile under " backup " .

Need to mass transfer All Notes from one machine to another 136310
Sunhiker

Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:43 pm
Thank you for responding. I see you are including a screenshot of a portion of what appears to be a help file or instruction manual. No such thing exists on my system, and I don't find one on the Zhorn Software site. I have no idea what a "traymenu" refers to. There is no "Settings" option in the only piece of software on my system apart from the Stickies themselves: a rudimentary applet called "Manage Stickies". I believe what I am running is version 9.

Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:56 pm
Stickies help file / manual is the file " stickies.chm " , you can search for it and double click it . The normal way is using F1 function key but some mysterious problem with windows seems to make this unreliable .

Need to mass transfer All Notes from one machine to another 8510

You can find the tray icon there if its hidden use the arrow to show more trayicons . Rightclicking stickies tray icon gives you backup / restore function .

If you decide to install V9 on your system again instead of v10 you can download the installer from here :
https://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/support/kb00013-9.0e.exe

The normal directory where stickes data ( and helpfile ) is installed if you installed it for one user is here :
c:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\stickies\

If you have found your tray icon , rightclicking it will have an " About stickies ...." entry it will give you the exact location of your data and version.

Best regards ,

Need to mass transfer All Notes from one machine to another 6510
Sunhiker

Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:49 pm
Aha! I did not suspect the existence of a second, hidden taskbar icon for Stickies. I found the location:
Need to mass transfer All Notes from one machine to another We3VhTugSojHAAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==
Alas, no .chm file. Perhaps that came only with versions later than 9.0b?

Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:07 pm
c:\Program Files (x86)\Stickies\

I just installed version 9 and the stickies.chm is in this directory so i guess this default location ?
Sorry for the confusion Crying or Very sad 

Best regards ,

btw here is some info
KB00009 - How do I back up Stickies data
https://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/support/kb.pl?q=00009

You find a search dialog window for info on the home called  " knowledge base " entering nothing will give you all entries.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum