Zhorn Software
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Doreen

Stickies "Send to" Feature not working Empty Stickies "Send to" Feature not working

Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:15 pm
I'm running Stickies v7.1a on my Windows 10 laptop and Windows 8 desktop. Since I upgraded to Windows 7 too Windows 8 (could NOT manage to install Windows 10 on the desktop...but that's another story) I can no longer send a stickies note from my laptop, which I use at night, to my desktop, which I use during the day. Before the upgrade, no problem.

I've checked the machine addresses for both machines under Properties in the Edit Friends area; They're correct.

I'm at a loss. I've never had a problem with Stickies before.

Thanks for any suggestions, tips or help.
Doreen

Stickies "Send to" Feature not working Empty Re: Stickies "Send to" Feature not working

Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:21 am
From previous postings it is most likely stickies is not allowed throught the firewall . I never used win8 but by googling you will find how to let an app through the firewall .

I looked at his one :  http://www.trainingtech.net/how-to-configure-windows-8-firewall/

You can test from the win10 PC by running a powershell code that checks if the port of stickies is open ( default port is 52673 unless you have changed it in " Settings ")

Open the run dialog window win+r
type powershell
in powershell window type with the correct IP of the destination        tnc 192.168.1.14 -port 52673

This is my failed one , ping succeeds because PC's are connected but stickies port does not react because of the firewall ( the reason was that i replaced stickies.exe with a new beta and this version was not set to go through the firewall )

Stickies "Send to" Feature not working 24810

Best regards
Doreen

Stickies "Send to" Feature not working Empty Re: Stickies "Send to" Feature not working

Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:23 am
Sooke,
Thank you SO much for your help. 

I ran the tnc command in powershell and got the very same result as you did, except, of course, with my desktop's IP addy.

Thanks for the link for configuring the firewall. I'll check that out tomorrow when I'm at the desktop.

I'd love for this to work again; At night I'm updating info on Stickies notes so that when I go back to work at my desktop the next day I have the latest info.
Sooo miss opening an up-to-date stickies note in the morning! Who can remember everything?!

Thanks again for the help. 
Doreen
Doreen

Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:23 am
Sooke,
Thank you SO much for your help. 

I ran the tnc command in powershell and got the very same result as you did, except, of course, with my desktop's IP addy.

Thanks for the link for configuring the firewall. I'll check that out tomorrow when I'm at the desktop.

I'd love for this to work again; At night I'm updating info on Stickies notes so that when I go back to work at my desktop the next day I have the latest info.
Sooo miss opening an up-to-date stickies note in the morning! Who can remember everything?!

Thanks again for the help. 
Doreen
Doreen

Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:05 am
Problem solved! In case it can help someone else:

It wasn't the firewall setting itself but another network setting problem. My desktop was not connected to the "public" network which was listed as the wifi network in the house. Duh! Seems so simple. Went crazy with firewall settings, etc....never thought to look and see if the machine was connected to the (house) wifi network Embarassed

Happily exchanging stickies notes now.  Very Happy

Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:57 am
Stickies "Send to" Feature not working 33610

I am curious about the tnc command response , did you get a " false " for the ping return value ?
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum