Zhorn Software
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
jjcoker

Problem when focus changes to new, received Sticky Empty Problem when focus changes to new, received Sticky

Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:07 pm
When a new sticky comes in, the focus moves to the Sticky, which should be expected.  We use a program to enter time...it is a law firm...and when the focus switches to the new Sticky, it moves to the Sticky and deletes everything we were typing in the previous program.  Since we can't control when someone is going to send us a Sticky, we are often losing a few lines of time that were entered before hitting save.

Can you think of a way to keep that from happening in the program?  ...or think of what might be causing it so I might mitigate it another way?

Thanks,

JJ
soul25

Problem when focus changes to new, received Sticky Empty Re: Problem when focus changes to new, received Sticky

Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:45 pm
jjcoker wrote:When a new sticky comes in, the focus moves to the Sticky....
Are you sure ?
I use this program for some years and it never happened to me....
I use Win7 x64. Which operating system do you use ?

BTW - The issue you described happens in another stickies tool called "Simple Sticky Notes" by "Simnet Limited". Are you sure you posted your issue in the correct forum ?
jjcoker

Problem when focus changes to new, received Sticky Empty Re: Problem when focus changes to new, received Sticky

Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:00 pm
It is mostly windows 7 x64 with a few Windows 10 x64 machines.  The issue is with a program called PCLaw that we use for case management and billing.  It is definitely an issue with stickies, not Simple Sticky Notes.  The firm has used it since the mid 2000s...and loves it.  We switched to PCLaw timekeeping a year or two ago.  Before, we entered time into Amicus Attorney and that software automatically synched the time over to PCLaw for us...and never had the problem. 

I have tried multiple versions of stickies (6,7, etc...), but I am guessing that the problem has something to do with how PCLaw stores the information we are typing in the time field.  It must store the information temporarily until the save button is pressed.  Right now, that is the only thing that makes sense to me, though I have no idea why they would do that.  I'm just looking everywhere I can to try and find a way around it.  ...any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the response.

JJ
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk

Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:12 pm
Hmm, sounds from what you've said like the problem really lies with PCLaw - if a text box is being used, and the user moves to another field, or a new window opens on the system, then the contents of that text box really should remain as they are.

Does the same thing happen if you press, for example, windows-r while entering info into the time field?  That will also open a new window, and this time also transfer input focus to it.

If you alter the Stickies option "clicking one note makes all notes visible", does that alter the behaviour you're seeing?

I've been looking at the code here to see if I can streamline it.  If we can't get anywhere, perhaps I can ask you to try out some beta code which is a little lighter on moving window focus around (Stickies needs to try to ensure that a new network note doesn't steal input focus).

Tom
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum