Zhorn Software
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Burak

Stickies and Virtualbox Empty Stickies and Virtualbox

Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:35 pm
Hi,

I am using Win 10 Home edition.

When stickes 9.0c running , I am having problem with an emulation software called Virtualbox.

The problem happens when I close and run Virtualbox a couple of times , the virtualbox main screen goes off suddenly.
This is only happening when Stickies is running.
When I exit stickies software completely , virtualbox begins to behave normally.
It is as if they are using same resource whatever it is and it is choking windows.

Is there anyone else having the same problem?

Regards,
Burak
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk

Stickies and Virtualbox Empty Re: Stickies and Virtualbox

Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:04 pm
That sounds strange - Stickies does not interfere with other windows, as you would hope it doesn't.  I think I've run VirtualBox in the past along with Stickies and I don't think I found anything like that.

Stickies does poll the list of top-level windows once a second to see whether there's anything open which needs attaching to, but it certainly doesn't issue "move" commands.  How long has this been going on - has it always been like that?

Tom
Burak

Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:33 am
Hi,

This began I guess, when I installed Stickies version 9.0c.
I also keep updating Virtualbox.
Currently running Stickies version 9.0c and Virtualbox 6.0 64-bit on W10 64-bit.

However Virtualbox is being effected by Stickies definitely.
I click to run virtualbox and main window comes and disappears very quick as if I closed the application.
Then I try again and again same thing happens until I close stickies completely by exiting the application.
After exiting stickies completely, I click and virtualbox main windows comes and stay normally.

I had noticed when I try to log off when this abnormality occurs , windows warns me that virtualbox interface is still connected !
I was logging off and on , then seeing virtualbox running normally. I was doing this because first time I encountered this problem never thought it was about stickies, since stickies was automatically running when logged on.

Now I can reproduce the event , I close stickies run and close virtualbox, run stickies , try running virtualbox and it happens again.
One thing it might be that my stickies is heavily loaded around 1200 stickies. However why it should affect virtualbox, maybe something to do with windows 10 handles the windows ?

If you can try on your machine if same thing happens?

Thanks for reading.
Burak
Admin
Admin
Admin

Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:22 pm
That's not 1200 desktop notes, I hope?!

I know there's no upper limit on the number that you can create, but I can't think that 1200 on the desktop would work at all well?  What sort of notes are they?

Do you have any Attached note in the app please?

Tom
Burak

Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:18 pm
Hi Tom,

No of course not all of them are on the desktop. Only 16 open on the desktop.
However I found a workaround , when I launch virtualbox main window and disappears,  I use show/hide all , the notes are all hidden and then virtualbox main windows comes without any problems.

I guess there is small fight between the notes and virtualbox main window. Laughing

Regards,
Burak
Admin
Admin
Admin

Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:32 pm
I've just installed VirtualBox, and tried to reproduce the problem - but haven't been able to.  I'm using Stickies 9.0c for this test, and VirtualBox 6.0.12 r133076.

I've created a VM, mounted an ISO as if I'm going to install W10 in it, but then stopped at the initial "Windows Setup" screen.

I was able to close both Stickies 9 and VB, then run Stickies, then run VB and then start the VM - and everything worked as I'd expect.

Your info about the Show/Hide all is really strange - does the VB window reappear when you hide the notes, or when you show them all?  Which VB window is it which disappears - the VM, or the main window with the list of VMs in it?

I checked the show/hide code, and although Stickies does send messages to hide windows (::ShowWindow(SW_HIDE)), it certainly only sends those messages to hide its *own* windows.

Tom
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum