Zhorn Software
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
soul25

Stickies takes too long to launch Empty Stickies takes too long to launch

Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:00 pm
It takes my stickies 45 seconds to launch. Is this normal ? Crying or Very sad

Compacting the DB with ctrl-shift-c from Manage Stickies didn't reduce the launch time.

I have a total of 243 stickies - 44 of which are recurring and 4 on desktop.
My store.mdb file is only  233KB

It would be helpful if more users share their launch time + these details ?
SPOOK
SPOOK

Stickies takes too long to launch Empty Re: Stickies takes too long to launch

Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:04 am
5+ MINS to complete load.

OS Name Microsoft®️ Windows Vista“ Home Premium  
Version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002 
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation  
System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard  
System Model HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC System Type X64-based PC  
Processor AMD Turion(tm) X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-70, 
2000 Mhz, 
2 Core(s), 
2 Logical  BIOS Version/Date Hewlett-Packard F.49, 
8/17/2009 SMBIOS Version 2.4  
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB  
Total Physical Memory 3.75 GB  
Available Physical Memory 1.33 GB  
Total Virtual Memory 7.72 GB  
Available Virtual Memory 4.88 GB
Page File Space 4.04 GB

I live with it.

SPOOK
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk

Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:04 pm
That length of time doesn't sound right.  The next release of Stickies changes the way in which all data is stored, so that it's all in one file.  I'm not sure that will affect what you're seeing, though.

It might be interesting to take a copy of your data, and then by removing notes from that copy and launching the app, see what it is which causes the slowdown.  I know that having very many desktop notes can have an effect.

If I remember correctly, I did look at something for the next release which will help with launch times - I think someone wrote to me a while back reporting the same sort of delay, and I was able to spot and fix something.

Tom
SPOOK
SPOOK

Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:57 am
To me 'Launch' is different from 'Full Load'.

When I start Stickies they come on the desktop pretty quickly (A couple of minutes or less.) and I can select and do some stuff.

But the 'Full Load' is when all CPU process' associated with Stickies "Settle-Down". Generally I'm using about 42% of my processor for about 5 minutes, then steps down about 10% at a time until less than 5%, that is when I consider Stickies fully loaded, and when I have no problems or stalls doing anything associated with Stickies.  

Thanks,
SPOOK
dhry
dhry

Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:08 pm
This is happening to me as well. After I've rebooted the PC, for example, where Stickies starts up automatically, I find that one of my cores (12.5% total CPU) is maxed out by Stickies easily for a minute or more. During this time the tasktray icon does not respond at all. After this, Stickies starts up and works fine. If I quit the app and then restart it, the same thing happens - in fact I just did that and it's taking even LONGER to start up now, past the 2 min mark and climbing. I  It seems to be doing something which times out after a while - for example trying to connect to a network share or something like that maybe? Is there a debug log mode or something where we can see what it's trying to do?

I generated the output of Nirsoft's WhatIsHang x86 against this crash, in case it helps. Looks like I can't attach to posts in this forum though.

Dhry
dhry
dhry

Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:16 pm
Solved the issue on my own, basically by deleting all my closed stickies. I had over 1400. A shame since there were some that I referred to once or twice, but at least now Stickies starts up immediately. Don't know which of them were broken or what was jamming things up, but there you go.

Dhry
KimmoJ

Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:22 am
1500+ notes shouldn't be a problem to have in an sqlite file but of course I know zero about how the Stickies program works internally. The v10 beta seems to run quite well for me but I don't have more than a dozen notes so there is not a lot there to potentially bog it down.
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk

Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:57 pm
If you have a very large number of Closed notes and would like to hold onto them, move them into a Stored folder.  Closed notes are scanned at app launch to speed up being able to search them, but Stores ones aren't.

Tom
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum